Cacoyannis Michalis, Greece, 1955
- Director: Michalis Cacoyannis
- Writing Credits: Iakovos Kabanellis – Michalis Cacoyannis
- Screenplay: Michalis Cacoyannis
- Cinematography: Costa Theodorides
- Music: Manos Hadjidakis
- Film Editor: George Tsaoulis
- Cast: Melina Merkouri (Stella)
Giorgos Foundas (Miltos)
Alekos Alexandrakis (Alekos)
Sofia Vempo (Maria)
Tasso Kavadia (Alekos’ Sister)
Costas Kakavas (Antonis)
: Reviews :
The story of a fiercely independent young woman, who wishes not to compromise.
Stella, who sings at Paradise nightclub, lives a guiltless, turbulent life characterized by passionate love affairs and assertiveness. While with Aleko, the son of a wealthy family, she decides, as is her habit, to break up with him before feelings wear off. When she finally meets Milto, a young football player, she seems to change. Even though, at first, she avoids Milto’s advances, she later gives in to his charm. To be with him she imposes her own terms. No matter how much she loves him, she mostly values her freedom. However, there comes a time for her to choose and it is then that things become complicated.
Melina Merkouri’s gripping performance and radiating presence established her as a major actress and emblematic female figure. Kakogiannis masterful direction deeply rooted on ancient Greek tragedy made this film an all-time classic.
: Photos :
: References :
- Athanassatou I., Greek cinema, 1950-1963. Athens: Finatec, 2001.
- Athanassatou.I, Ellinikos kinimatografos,1950-1963. Athens: Finatec, 2001
- Athanassatou, Gianna. _Ellinikos kinimatografos 1950-1967: Laiki mnimi ke ideologia. Athens: FINATEC, 2001.
- Cacoyannis, Michael. Stella: To Senario.Athens: Kastaniotis, 1990
- Cacoyannis, Michael, 36th Thessaloniki International Film Festval, Kastaniotis, Athens,1995.
- Moschovakis, Antonis. “O kinimatografos” Epitheorisi Tehnis 16 (1956): 356
- Soldatos, Giannis. History of Greek Cinema : 1900-1967 Athens, Aegokeros, 2002.
Subjects: FAITH/MODERNITY AND TRADITION/GENDER/URBAN LANDSCAPE
Curriculum: Greek Literature, Languages, Sex and relationship education, film studies
: Teaching material :
| General Guide
| Teachers Book